It’s Pie Week on this little corner of the internet. We did a similar Pie Week last year and it was so successful, we decided to do it again! Plus, who doesn’t need more pie?
As of this week, it was 90 degrees in California, so baking a toasty warm apple pie seemed out of the question. I decided to get a bit more tropical and try making a pineapple pie, which I had never tasted before.
Disclaimer: It turns out I don’t like pineapple in a pie, but my four taste-testers disagreed. They loved the pie and told me I needed to put it up on the ole blog.
The recipe was very simple to put together. I used Kirsten’s fail-proof “No Excuses Pie Dough” recipe for the crust. Her recipe takes approximately 5 minutes to throw together and it freezes beautifully. That recipe single-handedly helped me conquer my fear of pie-making. Now that I know how simple it is, I want to make pie every day. Plus, the filling came together in no time at all.
For the pineapple filling, you will need:
- 1 pineapple chopped small (or canned diced pineapple)
- 3 Tbsp. pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Step 1: Beat together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Step 2: Stir in pineapple, juice, and corn starch.
Step 3: Fill pie crust and cover with second crust.
Step 4: Crimp the edges of the pie with your fingers or a fork. Cut 4 small slits in the pie crust.
Step 5: Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
I topped mine with a simple whip cream and toasted coconut. To toast the coconut, simple heat shredded coconut in a pan over medium low heat until lightly golden brown.
Have you ever had pineapple pie? What is your favorite tropical pie?
p.s. Don’t forget to check out all of the wonderful pies being made for Pie Week. Check them out each day this week:
- Kirsten / Comfortably Domestic – Mile High Apple Pie
- Katie / The Hill Country Cook – New Mexico Apple Pie
- Anne / From My Sweet Heart – Cranberry Cherry Ricotta Pie
- Haley / The Girlie Girl Cooks – Coconut Cream Pie
- Jeanne / Inside NanaBread’s Head – Black and White Coconut Tart
- Mads / La Petite Pancake – Pineapple Pie
- Monica / The Grommom – Papaya Pie
- Carrie / Bakeaholic Mama – Chocolate Cream Pie
- Kat / Tenaciously Yours – Grandma’s Chocolate Pie
- Kirsten / Comfortably Domestic – Maple Sweet Potato Pie with Toasted Swiss Meringue
- Shanna / Pineapple Coconut – Boozy Pumpkin Egg Nog Pie
- Carrie / Bakeaholic Mama – Sweet Potato Tartlets
- Christina / Buffy and George – Deep Dish Apple Pie
- Madeline / Munchin in the Mitten – Sweet Potato Pie
- Allison / Decadent Philistines – Refrigerator Pumpkin Porter Chocolate Pie with Toasted Pumpkin Marshmallow “Meringue”
- Lauren / Climbing Grier Mountain – Mini Butternut Squash Pie Stacks with Marshmallow Frosting
- Megan / Country Cleaver – Biscoff Pie with Whiskey Mallow Fluff
- Shanna / Pineapple Coconut – Persimmon, Pear and Brandy Pie with Vanilla Bean Crumble
- Kirsten / Comfortably Domestic – Very Berry Cherry Pie