Last weekend I went to shop for my wedding dress. As a disclaimer to my post, I want you all to know that I hate shopping. I really do. I buy the majority of my goods online in order to avoid any mall situations and to be done with it. I know it’s shocking, but it’s who I am.
That being said, I love the people I was with while shopping for my wedding dress and I love the dress itself. BUT…the process was not the romantic cutesy stuff I was used to seeing on tv.
Without further ado, here’s a list of the top 5 things they don’t tell you about shopping for your wedding dress:
1) You don’t get champagne. Maybe I went to a unique bridal salon, but I was expecting free champagne and instead came face to face with a “No Beverages” sign. This was probably the biggest disappointment of the whole deal.
2) You don’t daintily step into each gown you try on. For the majority of the time you will be sweating like a pig from shimmying your way into 100 pounds of fabric over and over again. Then the consultant will pull you this way and that way trying to synch your fat into an hourglass shape and manhandling you with the “modesty panel”.
3) Your consultant won’t be Randy from “Say Yes to the Dress”. My consultant decided that I *needed* a white gown, even though I repeatedly said I wanted my dress to be champagne. After trying on 30 white gowns, I finally bought the ONLY one she brought me in champagne.
4) You will be forced to try on things you hate. I was expecting some of this, but I didn’t realize how violent the reaction between my body and chiffon would be. I mean, I was stuck somewhere between looking like the ghost of Christmas past and toga party. It was a lose-lose situation.
5) Everybody will cry the “ohmygodthisisit” cry and you will not understand. You will feel like, “Maybe I will never feel that about a dress. Maybe I’m being too picky. This really isn’t The One, is it? Can I go home yet? I am going to wear a pantsuit. Seriously, why is everyone crying about this dress?”
And then…finally…when you think all hope is lost…you will find Your Dress. The One. The Ohmygodthisisit. And your friends and family will agree with you because it will be the first time you have smiled all afternoon. And you will sigh a sigh of immense relief because you know how beautiful you feel and how happy you are going to be on your wedding day.
What’s your dress shopping story? Or, are you looking forward to or dreading dress hunting?