There are a billion reasons I love living in LA. Mostly I love living with this dude I fell in love with and our illegitimate dog-child. BUT…if I were to make a list of the top 10 superficial reasons I love living here, this would totally be that list:
1) My neighborhood. “The LBC” is notorious for scary neighborhoods featured in Snoop Dogg songs, but I’ve only seen the great parts of the city. Downtown Long Beach has a lot of businesses, dining, the Queen Mary (sort of our claim to fame), and a great aquarium. On the opposite side of town, we have 2nd Street. For those in MN, I equate 2nd Street to Uptown/Calhoun Square area.
2) Hole Mole. The best fish tacos I’ve ever tasted. The tacos consist of perfectly battered fish, creamy slaw, cilantro, and a splash of lime over the top. *drool* I know what’s for lunch. LA has some of the best Mexican food I’ve ever tasted. Hands. Down.
3) Wild parrots. They scare the bejeezus out of me, but they are pretty neat to look at from a distance. I like to pretend I live in the jungle. What of it?
4) Karaoke lounges, specifically “Elvis?!“. There are karaoke bars where I’m from, but I had never been to a legitimate lounge until I moved to LA. Basically, you share a room with 6 of your closest friends and a few microphones. Celine Dion never sounded so good.
5) Dog Beach. The beaches in/around LA are nice, but they’re not better than other beaches around the world. However, there is a beach entirely dedicated to dogs in Huntington Beach and Josie LOVES IT. She gets this crazed look in her eye and gets covered in sand and ocean water within 30 seconds of our visits. Anything that can tire my dog out is a win in my book.
6) Celebrity sightings. I would like to say that I’m the type of person that views celebrities as normal people and is not phased at all to see one walking down the street. That is not the case. I am a celebrity NUT. Even if it’s someone I don’t respect or like watching on tv, I will go bananas if I see them out and about. It’s like seeing a rare species of bird. I’ve seen 5 celebrities since moving to LA, and I’ve only lived here a year!
7) Day trips. I love that I live a short distance from wine country (Santa Ynez), San Diego, Palm Springs, and Catalina Island. I can never run out of gorgeous weekend getaways!
9) The produce. Most produce doesn’t ever go out of season. I mean, technically it does, but really it doesn’t. You know how strawberries taste like dirty pirate hooker a$$ in Minnesota winters? Yeah, that doesn’t happen here. Strawberries are always plump, juicy, and scrumptious. Same goes for tomatoes, avocados, bananas, etc.
10) Reno Room. Thus far my favorite dive bar in Long Beach. The drinks are cheap, the crowd is mixed, and pool is played. Oh, and they serve Mexican food. 🙂
Have you ever been to Los Angeles? What’s your favorite spot?