New Years Eve is here, and I wanted to take this opportunity to look back on 2010 and all of its insanity. I found this list on one of the blogs I read: Athletic Monkey.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? Swam in natural hot springs!
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Last year was my first year of making serious resolutions and I stuck with them! This blog is actually the result of a New Years resolution…now ain’t that adorable. This year’s resolution is simply to get more acquainted with the state I’m now living in. California and I are going to be friends.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Uhm…no births that really stick out in my mind, but several people got pregnant. Including my cousin’s wife! I’m probably the most excited about that because her first baby, Charlie, is the cutest baby on the planet. Seriously. It is ridiculous.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Several people died this year, but none that were particularly close to me. How awful would it be if I wrote this and totally forgot about somebody near and dear to me that had passed! My dad’s gall-bladder died, but that was more funny than anything else.
5. What places did you visit? New York, California, Nebraska, Illinois, Colorado, and Utah. Sad to say I didn’t travel outside of the country this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? More travel, less stress, more home cooked meals, less jiggly stuff, and more keeping in touch with friends.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? The day I moved to California. It was sort of like a stepping stone to adulthood.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Winning $30 on pull-tabs at a local bar on my birthday. It was the best tasting round of drinks and frozen pizza money could buy.
9. What was your biggest failure? Killing my herb babies, not once, but twice. I guess it’s store-bought herbs from now on 😦
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I had my wisdom teeth taken out, accompanied by 2 dry sockets. I’ve also been sick with a cold for over a month now because of those damn kids!
11. What was the best thing you bought? Josie. Well worth her insane price and the insane expenses of her vet bills. Holy cow she’s amazing.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Oh my goodness, is everybody an ok answer? From my family’s acceptance of my decision to move out West to my friends constantly being spirit-lifters to Jonathan’s general amazingness, everybody has been wonderful this year. Except for that asshole who yelled at me in the Starbucks parking lot. You, sir, are a disgrace to the human race.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Jay Leno, the cast of Jersey Shore, that guy in the Starbucks parking lot, and probably a lot of other people I can’t remember right now.
14. Where did most of your money go? Moving, puppy, new apartment stuff, and car payments. Well, by car payments I mean tickets and getting towed.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Besides the obvious…cabin trips (as usual), the Kitchenaid mixer (I actually screamed when I opened it), when Jonathan bought Inception on DVD, and starting a new job riiiiight before my savings ran out.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010? Hrm. So many songs I loved this year. Mumford and Sons, La Roux, and Brother Ali were pretty great for me this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?At this specific time last year I was pretty friggen down in the dumps. I am incredibly happy right where I am.
b) thinner or fatter? God, probably fatter? I can’t imagine being any fatter than this. TMI, internet friends? Well, that’s what I’m here for.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer, but on my way to being richer. I had a lot of savings then, but I was making way less than I do now. Does that make sense?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Hanging out with friends. I was a hermit in 2010.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying. I’m what you might call a “worry wart”.
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2010? In Minnesota sleeping on my parent’s couch and eating prime rib. It truly was glorious. Sweating like a pig during Christmas Eve midnight mass was NOT glorious.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010? I stayed in love in 2010. (I liked this line from Athletic Monkey, so I am keeping it)
22. What was your favorite TV program? Dexter, Glee, The Mentalist, True Blood, and Fringe.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2010? It was a birthday/going-away party thrown for me by my best guy friend. He made appetizers, there was beer, bean bag toss, pull-tabs won by me, and drunken tomfoolery. It was one of the best birthdays ever.
24. What was the best book you read? Definitely The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Klay.
25. What did you want and get? KITCHENAID MIXER!!!! I just shouted that like Oprah.
26. What did you want and not get? Glitter sparkle Toms. They have been on my list for something like 3 years running and I have never gotten them. It is time to get them for myself. Yay me!
27. What was your favorite film of the year? Inception. My mind was blown every 2 seconds.
28. Did you make some new friends this year? Yup! Work friends, neighbor friends, Jonathan’s friends, my parent’s friends, friends of friends…it was a whole friends-fest all year long.
29.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A weekly massage. It almost seemed like my dream could become a reality with this massage parlor in California that only charged $15 an hour. Sadly, none of the employees were actually licensed and it got shut down.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010? The “I’m just wearing this until I am skinny enough to fit into my really good-looking clothes” wardrobe. It was really lovely.
31. What kept you sane? Mostly Jonathan. He has this calming nature about him that is really wonderful. But also a lot of other things–going on new adventures, playing with friends, talking to family, nesting into my new life, creating a little niche for myself on the internets, etc.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? This year was all about Lady Gaga and Conan.
33. What political issue stirred you the most? Somali Americans-turned-terrorist, the economy, and of course the Don’t Ask Don’t Tell repeal.
34. Who did you miss? Everyone. Especially the overseas friends who I now have an even harder time of seeing.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. Go with your gut, but don’t be an idiot. Meaning, do what you know in your heart to be right, but don’t do it without careful consideration and planning for the consequences.